101 Avenue of the Americas, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10013

Call Now To Schedule A Case Evaluation

Call Us1-855-WAT-JACK 1-855-928-5225

New York City Rape Defense Lawyer

Brooklyn rape defense lawyer

Criminal Defense Attorney for Date Rape and Statutory Rape Cases in Rockland County

A mere accusation of rape can cause great harm to you, your family, and your reputation. Because arrests are a matter of public record, an arrest can be immediately reported by online news sources, long before any proof of guilt is established.

According to the NYPD, only about 10% of reported rapes involve complete strangers. The other 90% of reported rapes are commonly referred to as "date rape" because the people involved were known to each other. The parties may have met through work or school, dated previously, or may even be married. In such cases, your friends, family, and even co-workers could be drawn into a police investigation, which can be mortifying.

At Watford Jackson, PLLC, we understand the damage a rape accusation can do to your life and the sensitivity with which such cases must be handled. When you need a staunch advocate and protector at your side, you can rely on Watford Jackson.

Attorneys Joey Jackson and Gregory J. Watford have over 45 years of combined experience in the practice of criminal law in New York City. We know how the NYC criminal justice system handles rape cases, as well as the nuances of the state's sex crimes laws. Having handled many such cases, we know what it takes to mount an effective defense. We will serve you with dedication, providing both thoughtful advice and aggressive defense of your legal rights and interests.

Rape Crimes as Defined Under New York Law

Rape accusations are more common than you may realize. The New York City police department alone handles over 1,500 reports of rape each year, plus over 3,500 reports of other serious sex crimes.

Rape is specifically defined as nonconsensual sexual intercourse. The use of physical force is not required for most rape charges. Criminal sexual acts involving oral or anal sex fall into a different category of sex crimes. It is possible to be charged with rape along with other sex crimes for the same incident.

Watford Jackson is prepared to defend you against rape charges such as:

  • Rape in the third degree, a class E felony, is defined as sexual intercourse with a victim age 17 years or older who clearly expressed that he or she did not consent; sexual intercourse between someone age 21 or older and a victim under 17 years old; or sexual intercourse with a person who is legally incapable of consent due to a reason other than age, such as when the victim was incarcerated or working inside a state correctional facility.
  • Rape in the second degree, a class D felony, is defined as sexual intercourse between a person age 18 or older and a victim under age 15; or sexual intercourse with a person who is incapable of consent due to mental disability or temporary mental incapacity (e.g., due to drugs administered without the victim's consent).
  • Rape in the first degree, a class B felony, is defined as sexual intercourse under any of these conditions: by force or threat, with a physically helpless victim (e.g., one who is unconscious or otherwise unable to physically communicate non-consent), with a victim less than 11 years old, or when the offender is at least 18 years old and the victim is less than 13 years old.
  • Predatory sexual assault, a class A-II felony, is defined as rape in the first degree coupled with at least one of the following factors: physical injury to the victim, the use or threat of a weapon, multiple victims, or when the offender has a prior felony sex crimes conviction.
  • Facilitating a sex offense with a controlled substance, a class D felony, occurs when an offender drugs a victim with the intent to commit a sex offense, and the offender then commits or attempts to commit a sex offense. Note that this charge can be layered on top of a separate charge for rape or another sex crime.

A Skilled NYC Rape Defense Attorney

If you have been accused of rape in New York City or Long Island, you will want an attorney with substantial experience defending sex crime cases within the complicated NYC criminal justice system. Contact the attorneys of Watford Jackson in our Manhattan office at 855-WAT-JACK or 855-928-5225. We handle cases in the criminal courts of the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Nassau County, Rockland County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County.

CALL NOW TO SCHEDULE A CASE EVALUATION

Call Us855-928-5225

John Jay College Hofstra University New York County Lawyer Association National association of criminal defense lawyers Rockefeller College Brockport College

101 Avenue of the Americas, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10013

Call Us855-928-5225

Back to Top